=== Bioinformatic engineer position ===
— Employer Profile —
The University of the Côte d’Azur is a Community of Universities and Higher Education
Institutions (ComUE) created in 2015 with a research mission and consists of 13 members and
more than 30,000 students. The UCA unites the University of Nice Sophia Antipolis, public
technical and scientific institutions, and other organizations contributing to higher education
and research in the Alpes-Maritimes department.
A winner of a grant from the French Initiative of Excellence (IDEX) program with its UCA
JEDI project, the UCA aims to increase its visibility and national and international influence. The
long-term goal is to be counted among the top ten French universities comparable to the best in
the world. The UCA JEDI project is steered by a committee consisting of the President of the UCA and four
Program Directors (Education, Research, Innovation, and International). The President is
supported with UCA JEDI by an executive assistant (DEA), and each Program Director has an
Operational Program Director (DOP).
— Job Description —
The UCA JEDI project addresses different strategic themes, including that of Data Science. Several
applied Data Science projects in certain fields will be developed within the Center of Modeling,
Simulation, and Interactions (MSI). Within this framework, centers of expertise will be
established and located directly within a member of the UCA. The first of these centers, the
Medical Data Center (MDC), has already been created and is housed at the Nice University
Hospital Center (CHU). The role of the MDC is to connect UCA researchers in Data Science and
those in the medical field to carry out research projects on bioinformatics and the analysis of
large medical datasets.
The MDC aims to be innovative and at the cutting edge of techniques related to Big Data. That
is why the engineers at the MDC must also spend 20% of their time at the MSI for existing or
future courses and exchanges with other engineers so as to benefit from the UCA’s environment
of research excellence in Data Science.
Since the MDC has the goal of serving the entire medical scientific community of the UCA, MDC
engineers are assigned to work on a variety of projects which could be long-term.
This recruitment is for a bioinformatic engineer of the MSI, whose first task will be the
administration, development, and harnessing of data from the genetics laboratory of Prof.
Veronique Paquis. He or she will be directly supervised by two members of the MSI, a senior
biostatistician and a computer scientist with expertise in the management of Big Data and
– Conception, development, and optimization of the computational architecture as well as
algorithms and tools for the storage, archiving, and retrieval of genetic data.
– Development and application of automatic and manual tests to ensure the quality of
bioinformatic data processing and algorithms.
– In tandem with the genetics team, develop innovative tools adapted to the needs of the group.
– Training and support of users for using and understanding the tools developed.
– Literature surveys and implementation of bibliographic tools.
– Processing of genetic data in collaboration with the researchers in statistics, modeling, and
– Awareness of the other biomedical groups within the UCA so as to establish interactions
— Candidate profile —
Bioinformatician (Master’s or Ph.D.)
– Experience with the analysis of high-throughput data sequencing (NGS)
– Knowledge of programming languages (preferably Perl, Python, or Scala) and shells (Bash)
– Familiarity with databases (e.g., PostgreSQL)
– Interpersonal skills
The skills below are not essential but will be appreciated.
– Experience with data analysis and the management of Big Data. Knowledge of the MapReduce paradigm and the Apache Spark framework
– Familiarity with version management software (git/svn)
– Basic knowledge of molecular biology and experimental human genetics
— Specific conditions —
Position available on a fixed contract (2 years CDD) or on secondment.
Starting date: from 1 December 2017
Please send your CV and letter of motivation to firstname.lastname@example.org (MDC
Operational Program Director) and email@example.com before November 25th, 2017.
[bull-ia] === Bioinformatic engineer position === University of the Côte d’Azur ===
=== Bioinformatic engineer position ===